Page 1 of 1

DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:22 am
by nsumner
Okay, so I have selective DNS for only the company domain name to go through the corporate DNS server. Everything else we just use "ISP" DNS (okay on my computer you can bet I'm using 1.1.1.1 but that isn't important).

Sometimes not often on almost all of our clients if something happens that causes the VPN to not shutdown properly I'm left with the DNS server being 127.0.0.1 (or IPv6 ::::1). Then the user computer can't connect to Internet, or even reconnect to the VPN. Only solution is to send them a nice complex LAPS password, and guide them through manually modifying connection settings which is a real pain. Is there any way to fix this. Anything at all to avoid this happening again?

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am
by Eric
Hi nsumner,

We have a solution for this in 1.8.5, and the solution is already in the beta branch if you would like to give it a try. We don't have a firm release date for 1.8.5 at this stage.

https://sparklabs.com/support/kb/articl ... -versions/

Regards,
Eric

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:15 am
by nsumner
Thanks trying to update users to 1.8.5 and let's hope this is the end of it!

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm
by Altern 8
Hello there,

We use your product for professional purposes and we encounter the same problem, the update to 1.8.5 didn't solve the problem, sometimes the DNS goes to 127.0.0.1. It even passes the DNS of the customer's internet connection to 127.0.0.1.
We tried to check the Beta updates but nothing to do.

Best regards

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:52 pm
by Eric
Hi Altern 8,

As of version 1.8.5, Viscosity no longer uses 127.0.0.1. As a first step, please have all connections disconnected and ensure this IP is not set on any adapters anymore. We'd recommend resetting your network settings, to do this, right click Start, select Network Connections and then Network reset.

If 127.0.0.1 re-appears afterwards, it sounds like you have another piece of software like a local DNS resolver like DNS-Crypt or Umbrella Roaming Client which is setting this 127.0.0.1 IP address.

Regards,
Eric

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm
by nsumner
I am having a user with the same problem reporting that it keeps on changing him back to 127.0.0.1. Now I haven't yet been able to get them back online and therefore I can't tell you much about any other software etc.

I will update if I know anything more soon.

Update: I still can't get into the computer, but I can confirm they are using Viscosity 1.8.5.1.

I need to see if there might be something else on the computer causing the problem.

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:43 pm
by nsumner
Okay so I can't explain. I had 2 people with the same issues.

1: Viscosity was upgraded to 1.8.5.1. DNS still had 127.0.0.1 stuck in it. The user changed it but it kept changing back. Which doesn't make much sense but this was the report of 2 users.

The first I met the user (physically), I saw that DNS was 127.0.0.1 and I changed it. The computer still reported no internet (and seemingly had no internet). So I dropped to the command prompt and pinged 1.1.1.1 which no surprise worked. I then went to nslookup set server to 1.1.1.1 and was able to get results (no suprise). I then left nslookup and was able to ping www.google.com and the computer now had Internet. Did a restart and all was still good.

The second user I was just remotely trying to help them via phone. They also had changed DNS from 127.0.0.1 but it was back there this morning. I had them change it again to DHCP. Their computer still didn't go online reset always brings it back to 127.0.0.1. I changed it back to DHCP and had the user go to the command prompt. They pinged 1.1.1.1 which worked. They then pinged www.google.com which worked, and at that point the computer showed it had Internet and showed up in TeamViewer as connected. A reboot and everything continued to work.

Connectging to the VPN changed the DNS to the now expected address (127 something something (don't remember off hand). I didn't try any reboots etc after that.

Both laptops are HP laptops but different models and I didn't see any other software that I would expect to play with the DNS settings. I have a feeling this is some sort of bug connected to the upgrade to 1.8.5.1 when DNS was already stuck.

I have instructed the other member of my team to let me know if anybody with 1.8.5 (or 1.8.5.1) has this problem and if so to let me know immediately.

Re: DNS gets messed up sometimes

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:47 pm
by Eric
Hi nsumner,

It sounds like 127.0.0.1 is still lingering in the system from an old version of Viscosity. Please refer to my previous instructions for users who experience this to reset their network settings if other users experience this.
As of version 1.8.5, Viscosity no longer uses 127.0.0.1. As a first step, please have all connections disconnected and ensure this IP is not set on any adapters anymore. We'd recommend resetting your network settings, to do this, right click Start, select Network Connections and then Network reset.
Regards,
Eric