Viscosity Helper Connection Failed

Got a problem with Viscosity or need help? Ask here!

cNone

Post by cNone » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:45 pm
It connects ut after few minutes disconnects again. Waiting for a fix then.

hivacruz

Post by hivacruz » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:49 pm
Hi, same problem on Mojave 10.14.6, can't work anymore.

I tried to downgrade to 1.9.3 which asks me to install the assistant:
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.45.49.png
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.45.49.png (76.71 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
After saying yes, it fails with the same error I was having on 1.9.4:
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.46.57.png
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.46.57.png (66.14 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
Here are the console.log output when clicking on "Install":
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.44.56.png
Capture d’écran 2021-08-26 à 10.44.56.png (170.46 KiB) Viewed 7409 times

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:56 pm
Hi Folks,

UPDATE: Please see the post further below for the solution and further information.

We believe this is being caused by security or enterprise software installed on the same machine.

Viscosity 1.9.4 includes significantly more strict code signature checking over prior versions. Viscosity's helper will now reject clients where the connecting process does not meet these strict checks. If Viscosity is being rejected from connecting to its own helper it likely means something on the computer is modifying it, causing it to fail these checks.

Please ensure that no software is installed on the computer that may be attempting to inject code into Viscosity. We have seen problems in the past with enterprise security/management software like "SentinelOne" or "Digital Guardian". Please try uninstalling or disabling any such software and see if the problem persists.

Investigations are ongoing, and feedback regarding whether any such software is on the affected machines would be appreciated.

If you need to downgrade to version 1.9.3, please first follow the steps in the Uninstalling Viscosity (Mac) article to remove the Viscosity application and the helper (do *not* remove Viscosity's Preferences or your connections), and then download Viscosity 1.9.3. However please note that 1.9.3 does have a security vulnerability that version 1.9.4 addresses.

Cheers,
James
Web: https://www.sparklabs.com
Support: https://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sparklabs

hivacruz

Post by hivacruz » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:06 pm
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:57 pmcNone wrote:
I have solved the issue with manually copying the helper from app to PrivilegedLaunchServices. Thank you for this great tool :)
I solved the problem doing this too by copying:

- /Applications/Viscosity.app/Contents/Library/LaunchServices/com.sparklabs.ViscosityHelper

to

- /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.sparklabs.ViscosityHelper

Using the 1.9.3 version. Had to re-enter my license details.
Last edited by hivacruz on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwarfc

Post by dwarfc » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:27 pm
I do not have any enterprise security/management software installed

James

Post by James » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 pm
Hi All,

Thanks for everyone who has posted or emailed with additional information.

We believe we've now identified what is going on, and we've released an updated build to help address this (version 1.9.4 build 1578). Please try updating to this build to see if it resolves the problem (even if the description below doesn't sound like it matches your setup). If you were running the previous build and running into this issue, you will need to manually uninstall the old build using the instructions below (otherwise the same error message will persist even with the new build).

In short issues are falling into two categories:

Issue 1:
Code signing security settings have been modified on the local machine, causing some checks by Viscosity's helper to fail. We don't believe this is widespread or a common practice, however it appears to be the case on many "hackintosh" machines, old machines using patched versions of macOS to allow installation beyond what Apple support, and some enterprise setups to allow security/management software to run. The latest build (version 1.9.4 build 1578) will now work correctly on these setups. The latest build can be downloaded from the download page, or via software update.

If you, or a user you support, has the initial 1.9.4 release (build 1577) and is unable to update, please manually uninstall the Viscosity application and the helper tool using the instructions in the Uninstalling Viscosity (Mac) guide, and then download and install the latest build as normal. Updates of the initial build were paused as soon as we started receiving reports of problems.

Issue 2:
Enterprise security software in injecting itself into Viscosity, breaking its runtime code signature. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this from our end, as Viscosity is working by design protecting against code injection. In all instances thus far, updating to the latest version of the security software has resolved the problem. Alternatively you can also try whitelisting the Viscosity application.

Again, we'd like to thank everyone who quickly reported a problem with the update on their machine and took the time to email in logs and work with us the get to the bottom on the issue. Problems like this are always frustrating for all involved, and so we greatly appreciate your support.

Thanks,
James
Web: https://www.sparklabs.com
Support: https://www.sparklabs.com/support
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sparklabs

jon_h

Post by jon_h » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:00 pm
Neither issue 1 nor Issue 2 apply to me.

Following the steps to downgrade also don't seem to work.

I have managed to get tunnelblick working for now

kvadrocopter

Post by kvadrocopter » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:10 pm
Thanks. New version worked for me.

cNone

Post by cNone » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 pm
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 pmJames wrote:
Hi All,

We believe we've now identified what is going on, and we've released an updated build to help address this (version 1.9.4 build 1578). Please try updating to this build to see if it resolves the problem (even if the description below doesn't sound like it matches your setup). If you were running the previous build and running into this issue, you will need to manually uninstall the old build using the instructions below (otherwise the same error message will persist even with the new build).

Issue 1:
Code signing security settings have been modified on the local machine, causing some checks by Viscosity's helper to fail. We don't believe this is widespread or a common practice, however it appears to be the case on many "hackintosh" machines, old machines using patched versions of macOS to allow installation beyond what Apple support, and some enterprise setups to allow security/management software to run. The latest build (version 1.9.4 build 1578) will now work correctly on these setups. The latest build can be downloaded from the download page, or via software update.

If you, or a user you support, has the initial 1.9.4 release (build 1577) and is unable to update, please manually uninstall the Viscosity application and the helper tool using the instructions in the Uninstalling Viscosity (Mac) guide, and then download and install the latest build as normal. Updates of the initial build were paused as soon as we started receiving reports of problems.

Issue 2:
Enterprise security software in injecting itself into Viscosity, breaking its runtime code signature. Sadly there is nothing we can do about this from our end, as Viscosity is working by design protecting against code injection. In all instances thus far, updating to the latest version of the security software has resolved the problem. Alternatively you can also try whitelisting the Viscosity application.

Again, we'd like to thank everyone who quickly reported a problem with the update on their machine and took the time to email in logs and work with us the get to the bottom on the issue. Problems like this are always frustrating for all involved, and so we greatly appreciate your support.

Thanks,
James
Unfortunatley it drops at some point. Actually I can get connected in seconds but it doesnt transmit any data after few seconds.

cNone

Post by cNone » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 am
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:47 pmcNone wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:33 pmJames wrote:
Hi All,

Issue 1:

Issue 2:

Thanks,
James
Unfortunatley it drops at some point. Actually I can get connected in seconds but it doesnt transmit any data after few seconds.

Actually drops caused by me :( I have connected same ovpn profile on my mobile and forgot to disconnect it. My phone gets the connection and drops out my laptop. Now my instance is working well too.

Thank you so much for quick fix
22 posts Page 2 of 3